(above: “Raise your hands if your having fun!” The kids take in the view from the Chantry Flats Heliport in the Angeles National Forest – San Gabriel Mountains.)
We’ve officially been in Pasadena for five full weeks. Time apparently moves faster in California because there is no way we’ve already been here that long. A blink. That’s what it feels like.
In such a short time…
- Nash started first grade at McKinley School.
- We had dinner with Ines’ TCU college roommate Kim and her husband.
- We joined a Life Group with the Harrisons.
- I went to New York for a quick business trip.
- We had lunch with Ines’ cousin whom she hadn’t seen in 20 years.
- I met DJ Chuang for coffee.
- We saw Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats in concert at the Greek Theater for my birthday.
- We got to hang with Spencer and Jennifer Ragsdale in Malibu.
- Ines started seminary!
- Bobby and I marched in a Black Lives Matter protest for #reginaldthomas.
- We had our first celebrity sighting in the form of sharing a blanket at the kids’ soccer practice with Danny Pudi from Community. (I played it cool and didn’t take a pic. He and his wife were super sweet.)
We are humbled by the support we receive from friends and family through texts, emails, and physical letters mailed to us. All of your words of encouragement seem to come at just the right time and nourish our spirits. Keep ’em coming! It’s definitely hard being away from our loved ones back home.
Ines articulated what’s happening in our hearts in this Instagram post yesterday:
real talk: this is the 4th time i've cried in 24hrs • but my dad: hija, if you had told me it wasn't hard i would have been worried ab you • when God told Jeremiah to go to the potter's house he saw that the clay fell apart in his hands but the potter picked it up & remade it into what he wanted it to be • our Dad in heaven gives us room to become undone then gathers us to put us back together all safe in His trustworthy hands • trust that He is good
It’s hard, but it IS good. Thanks for following our adventure.